The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) will soon set a new standard for working with the federal government. It was created by the U.S Department of Defense (DOD) as a way to ensure that technology vendors are offering secure services to government organizations. By 2025, the CMMC will take effect and remain a necessity for government contractors to continue working with their clients. As technology vendors continue to expand their businesses, they’re expected to embrace this new model if they’d like to remain competitive within the industry. With five levels of the CMMC, the DOD outlines what organizations should do in order to maintain their certification.
- Level 1 – Basic cyber hygiene practices
- Level 2 – Establishing and documenting practices and policies for CMMC implementation
- Level 3 – A plan is put in place that ensures it can manage the implementation of CMMC practices
- Level 4 – Organization verifies that it has reviewed and measured the effectiveness of practices
- Level 5 – Implementation process is finally standardized and optimized
Learn more about the impact of CMMC here.